Last year, I hosted a holiday cookie decorating party at my home. I invited a few of my friends and their kids over for an afternoon of sugar cookies, buttercream and sprinkles. We made a complete mess, but oh was it fun! Today, I'm sharing a few helpful tips on how to host the perfect cookie decorating party and sharing my favorite sugar cookie recipe!
I made all the cookies ahead of time, but you can also ask each guest to bring their own batch of undecorated cookies to help you save on time. I also asked each guest to bring their own take home container so they would be able to transport their beautiful creations safely.
What you'll need:
Undecorated sugar cookies (can be made and frozen ahead of time, or have your guests bring their own) *my favorite recipe below!
Buttercream in a variety of colors
Piping bags and tips - found at any local craft store or cake supply shop
Sprinkles! You can't have too many :)
Next, I set a table up with brown craft paper (for easy clean up!)
This is a perfect activity to do over the Christmas holidays! Here are a few photos of the fun!
My favorite Sugar Cookie recipe. Enjoy!
1 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
6 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons milk
add 1 teaspoon almond extract or fresh lemon zest (optional)
1. Cream butter, sugar, salt and vanilla until light and fluffy.
2. Add eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
3. Mix the dry ingredients together and then add to the creamed butter mixture. Add milk and mix. Add the lemon zest or almond extract if desired.
4. Form dough into two flat discs and wrap with plastic wrap. Let rest and chill for 2 hours.
5. Remove dough from refrigerator a half hour prior to rolling. Roll out the dough onto a floured surface or between two pieces of parchment paper. Cut into desired shapes and place on baking tray. Chill for 15 minutes before baking (this helps to keep the shape).
6. Preheat oven to 300 degrees and bake for 10-15 minutes.
I hope you enjoy these as much as I. If you try them, I'd love to hear about it! xo, Johanna